Not a man or a goth

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Japanese Film Festival

Woke up bright and early to catch the train with Ky. We arrived at Circular Quay at 9, and everyone (Rna and Spa) was late except for us, so we could've slept for another half an hour. Instead we walked around the quay, looked at tourists, and read those "Writer's Walk" circles.

Then we met up with Kylie's internet friends, who were even later than us. And they had the tickets. I didn't really talk to them much (or at all...), and now I feel a bit bad about that.

Movie reviews!

Hinokio: Inter Galactic Love
I really liked this. I thought it was funny and sweet. It was trippy in parts, but then again, it was Japanese. It's about a boy who can't walk, so he sends a robot to school in his place. Life, love and the universe, two thumbs up.
8.5/10 (liked it a lot, but points minussed for deus ex machina ending. Didn't fall asleep at all)

Hidden Blade
This would've been better if it were two movies, each half the length. There were two storylines -- the love story about Munezo and his maid, and the samurai story. The love story could've been more dramatic, and the samurai story could have been more violent. It wasn't clear until the last 10 mins what the Hidden Blade actually was. A bit waffly but had potential.
6.5/10 (decent, but points minussed because I fell asleep once)

Not yet
Biggest waste of my time ever. Worse than King Arthur. Probably worse than Alexander. Makes Hidden Blade look good. With serious editing, this movie could have been cut to about half an hour. It might've been enjoyable as a short film. There was a party scene that lasted at least 20 mins and was heinously boring. I think the subtitler was bored too, because there were so many mistakes in the subtitles. Some of them were probably intentional, like "Should I put fish in my pond? I want to fill it with crap. I want to put a crap in here as big as a whale." Because hey, by that time the audience isn't paying attention anyway. I fell asleep twice.

Dendy had technical difficulties, where one reel was shown upside down and back to front. At least trying to read the subtitles became fun.

Sophia says:
not yet has a 7.6 rating on imdb :'(


MOO. I can't believe that. I'd give it maybe 3/10, because I liked the parts with the cats.

Oh carp. Now it sounds like I didn't have a good day, but I did really. Should try to end post on a positive note.

I got to eat a McFlurry, a scoop of lemon sorbet and a scoop of chocolate gelato. Thanks Kylie for organising. Please be BOSS of more things :D?

"Sleeeeeepover"

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home