Not a man or a goth

Friday, October 14, 2005

I hate beggars (a story)

Yesterday at work I was cheerfully stirring the choc dip, when a group of girls in school uniform came up to the counter.
Oh goody, thought I. They are customers.
The girl at the fore of the group asked me “Can I have a free scoop?”
Oh, thought I. Very amusing.
“No…?” said I.
“Give me something for free?” the girl said again, with huge puppy eyes.
I ignored her, which normally works when stupid people think they’re being funny.
“Haven’t you got anything that’s free?” asked the girl, seemingly oblivious to my struggle to hold back snark. People traditionally pay for goods and services, I wanted to say. Even primitive people have bartering systems. Even the homeless sell the Big Issue instead of begging.
“Is this one of those jokes where I say ‘Sure, you can have something’, and you say ‘Ho ho, I was just joking. I’ll really buy something now.’ Ha ha, very amusing?”
“Nuh,” she said, unaffected. “Can you give me something?”
“No,” I said. “Why don’t you try Japan Crepe or NZ Natural?”
“Do you think they’ll give it to me?”
“You could always try.”
I just wanted her to go away. But she just stood there. Every few seconds she’d say “please” and try to look as sad as possible. I then busied myself with trying to separate the sprinkles into different colour groups so I wouldn’t have to look at her.
“Just give me one scoop of Cookie Cream,” said she.
At least know what you’re begging for, damn you! It’s Cookies AND Cream. I ignored her for several minutes more. Finally, she turned away.
“You’re slack,” she said.

Afterwards I came home and cried until my lacrimal ducts were raw and bloody. It really hurts that she called me that. I really sympathised with her but the laws of commerce prevented me from helping. I mean, I can see her point. I’d much rather grovel and demean myself than go without icecream. How dare people like me deny her, especially when she said please! Her money goes to vitally important things like hair dye and eyeliner. A helluva lot of hair dye and eyeliner. How can I expect her to cough up $2 for icecream?

I truly am a bad person.

6 Comments:

  • ooer, what school?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:12 pm, October 13, 2005  

  • They were from Georges River College, Oatley Campus.
    (Yes, I emailed this to you, but I want to besmirch their name. That'll teach them good.)

    Word Verification to post a comment on my own blog?? *grumbles*

    By Blogger quaffy, at 8:25 pm, October 16, 2005  

  • Lol, i've begged for food donations before but in the name of a student film shoot :) Plus, I knew when to stop, and thanked them for their time afterwards. Forget about her Laura, she's not worth the tears! Whiny freeloader.

    By Blogger Donna, at 2:11 pm, October 17, 2005  

  • The girl was such a moron.. does Wendys have a blacklist of people who can't come in.. I think GJs does..

    at GJs, there's a regular who comes in and gets a drink but sometimes he has no money so he asks us for a free drink .. i give him tap water instead...

    AND at GJs , we're doing TEN samples a day now.. drinks and food!!

    I had to walk around Kogarah on a quiet Sunday morning and persuade old people on their way to the Greek Orthodox church to try the drink.. btw.. I was sampling GJs new drink-Honeycomb Violet Crumble Ice Chocolate Drink.. very nice! tastes exactly like it sounds..

    we also had a meeting about not giving friends free promos and apparently even for staff, we can only give discounts on drinks...

    hmm..is that saying something about the work habits of some of my work mates?

    I miss you.. Have a nice week at uni =)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:03 pm, October 17, 2005  

  • hey laura, i just noticed..it says i left my messsage at 5.03 am but it's 10.03 pm (monday, 17/10/05).

    *confused*

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:04 pm, October 17, 2005  

  • Huzzah, I finally figured out how to change the timezone!

    By Blogger quaffy, at 12:02 am, October 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home